On Thursday December 6, more than fifty people attended the 2012 Annual Meeting of the Delaware Valley Translation Association that took place at the Holiday Inn Historic District in Center City, Philadelphia.
The meeting was a perfect blend of social networking and discussion of business-related matters.
After a brief introduction by DVTA president, Tony Guerra, and a recap of this year’s events and programs by Anne V. Connor and Maria Weir, our treasurer, Alan Dages gave us the good news that the DVTA finances are sound, and Dorothy Evans showed us in colorful graphics that our membership remains strong with an increase in the number of corporate members.
Several workshops and webinars are already planned for the new year.
First of all: the Annual DVTA Winter Brunch will take place on February 10 at Yang Ming Restaurant, Bryn Mawr, PA.
As for the workshops, if you’re a translator, I highly recommend you attend Rosalie Wells’ Hands-on Translation Tools Workshop (Trados and Wordfast). I attended Rosalie’s seminar on this subject last September and I found it most informative and useful.
If you’re an interpreter, you have several seminars to choose from:
- Webinar for Spanish Interpreters: Jaime Fatas and Alfonso Villaseñor
- New Interpretation Techniques, Simul-Consec: Esther M. Navarro Hall
- Conference Interpretation Equipment Technology Workshop: Todd Cassidy, Mainline AV
More good news: In 2013, the DVTA will hold an ATA Translation Certification Exam Sitting. Date and place yet to be determined.
The Honorable Ida Chen closed the meeting with an inspiring recap on last year’s two programs organized in collaboration between the First Judicial District of Philadelphia and the DVTA:
- Court Interpretation Shadowing Program: with First Judicial District of Philadelphia
- Court Interpreter Skill Development Workshop: with Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts (AOPC) Widener University, DE and First Judicial District of Philadelphia
After the meeting, we all gathered to talk with old and new friends around the delicious food that Carlota Dalziel and Maria Weir selected with the hotel.
For a more up to date information on DVTA, ATA and other events of interest, check the DVTA calendar here, follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ (then look for DVTA), or tweet with us on Twitter (@_DVTA_.